In 1839 Battle Creek's first Episcopal service was conducted. Regular services were held in the schoolhouse after 1841 by the Rev. Montgomery Schuyler,
then Rector at Marshall. In appreciation he was given a team of horses. In 1842 Bishop Samuel McCoskry confirmed six candidates, and a parish was organized. A brick building on this site was consecrated on June 11, 1848. It was replaced by the present edifice thirty years later.