The Log Schoolhouse

The Log Schoolhouse

Near this spot, facing the Indian Trail, the village's first public school was erected in 1834. Built of logs, its floor, desks and benches were constructed of lumber floated down the river from Bellevue's sawmill. Warren B. Shepard, the first teacher, had a dozen pupils. The pioneers paid eighty dollars for their schoolhouse, using it also for religious services, debates and other meetings. Sometime friendly Potawatomi Indians dropped in to watch the strange doings.
photo of The Log Schoolhouse

Registered Site L0007
Erected 1959

Location: East State and Monroe
Battle Creek, Calhoun County

Topics:
Schools

Home

Latitude: 42.321111, Longitude: -85.179722

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com