The First Baptist Church, the oldest church in Battle Creek, was organized in April, 1835, with 19 charter members. Meetings were held in the log schoolhouse
the first few years. The present site was bought from Sands McCamley in 1843 for $2275. The first building, completed in 1850, was replaced in 1871 by the present structure at a cost of $26,500. Many members signed notes for the indebtedness. In 1957 an educational building was erected. The church was remodeled in 1959.