Old Indian Cemetery
This cemetery was already established when the first white man came to this area. It is believed to have been used by the Ottawas as early as 1750 and is known to have been a burial ground from 1806 to 1854 for both Indians and settlers. The Daily-Badeau trading post existed from 1830 to 1848 on the shore of Muskegon Lake below the cemetery. Louis B. Badeau purchased lot 2, containing the cemetery, and much of downtown Muskegon, in 1839. This was the starting point for all early surveys in the area. Near here Martin Ryerson set up his first sawmill. He obtained title to the cemetery, and in 1926 his son, Martin A. Ryerson, deeded it to Muskegon with the stipulation that it be maintained in perpetuity.