Gros Cap & St. Helena Island

Gros Cap & St. Helena Island

French fishermen who came to Gros Cap (on the shore below) early last century also participated in its offshore settlement, St. Helena Island, where ships obtained wood fuel and other supplies. There in 1850, Archie and Wilson Newton set up a fishing and shipping business. The community thrived for more than thirty years.
photo of Gros Cap & St. Helena Island

Registered Site L0022
Erected 1962

Location: Park on US-2 6 miles west of St. Ignace.
Moran Township, Mackinac County

Topics:
Native Americans

Home

Latitude: 45.8705290, Longitude: -84.8054838

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com