Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church
This church structure, one of the oldest in the Detroit Presbytery, was erected by a church building society which was organized on January 20, 1855. A fine example of the classic New England church, it was built and furnished for $3,000. It was dedicated in June, 1856, as the house of worship for the First Presbyterian Church of Independence. The congregation had been organized in 1849 under the Plan of Union as the Church of Orion and Independence. Because of a small membership, the church in 1932 was dissolved. When Sashabaw United Presbyterian Church was organized in 1946, this building became its house of worship. The original steeple was restored and the building carefully preserved.