Eighteenth Century Gristmill Site
From 1787 until about 1840 a horse-driven grist mill occupied the triangle of land north of Horsemill Road bounded by the river and Thorofare. Ten acres were cleared and enclosed as meadows for the mill horses. Equipped with "a pair of Stones 3 feet 3 inches in diameter," the mill was erected by William Macomb at a cost of £628. He also maintained a "Cyder Press" near the shore and a shipping wharf.