Thomas' Mills

Thomas' Mills

In 1850 George Thomas operated a sawmill here, and in the next decade as settlers began to arrive he built a gristmill. The new village, also known as Gull Lake, was a few miles south of the Reverend Leonard Slater's Baptist Indian mission. Thomas dominated local affairs, being the leading merchant, the postmaster, a large land owner, and a member of the state legislature. At the turn of the century, when the village was practically abandoned, Gull Lake became popular as a summer resort.
photo of Thomas

Registered Site L0087
Erected 1971

Location: M-43 at North end of Gull Lake
Gull Lake, Barry County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings

Home

Latitude: 42.4251671, Longitude: -85.4327774

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com