St. James Episcopal Chapel

St. James Episcopal Chapel

Lisette Denison, a freed slave, willed her life savings to build Saint James Episcopal Chapel. With supplemental funds from her employer, William S. Biddle, and his brother James, this Gothic chapel was constructed in the summer of 1867. The architect was English-trained Gordon W. Lloyd of Detroit, who summered on Grosse Ile. The first rector was the Reverend Moses H. Hunter. James Biddle built a rough alter cross, a minister's kneeling bench, and a reading stand for the first services, which were held in 1868.
photo of St. James Episcopal Chapel

Registered Site L0122
Erected 1981

Location: 25159 East River Road
Grosse Ile, Wayne County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches

Home

Latitude: 42.1245113, Longitude: -83.1421682

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com