In 1834 Henry W. Sisson of New York settlement here and built a log tavern, located on Evans Lake where the Chicago Road enters the Irish Hills. The tavern was purchased in 1839 by John Davenport, who owned the property until 1864. During this time the present building was constructed. Known as Lancaster House from 1864 to 1884, the building was later to serve as a general store and a post office. As late as 1900 stagecoaches stopped here regularly.