Saginaw Post Office
In 1889, at the urging of Saginaw Comgressman (later governor) Aaron Bliss, the Congress appropriated one hudred thousand dollars for the construction of a new federal building in Saginaw. During the next several years the project stalled as city leaders rejected two different sets of plans drawn by U.S. Treasury Department architects. Congressman William Linton, who represented the Saginaw district from 1893 to 1897, persuaded the government to draft a third design. William Aiken, the newly appointed supervising architect of the Treasury Department, submitted a final plan which was enthusiastically approved by local officals in 1897. On May 11, 1897, Saginaw Postmaster A.G. Wall dug the first spade of dirt during ceremonies celebrating the start of construction. William Linton became Saginaw's postmaster in 1898.