St. Francis Solanus Indian Mission
This land was sold by Amawee, an Odawa, to Jean Baptiste Trotochaud and his Ojibwa wife Sophia Anaquet. Later, they donated nearly and acre of land to the Catholic Church. Jean under the guidance of Father Sifferath, built this mission in 1859. In 1860, Bishop Frederic Baraga blessed and dedicated it for use by Natives and settlers. Mass was offered at least four times a year. The mission was restored in 1884 after the arrival of Father Pius Niermann, an Assistant Priest with the Franciscan Fathers. It was abandoned by 1896 and restored again in 1931, 1959 and from 2005 -2008. The church and burial grounds are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.