The Cushway House
The oldest surviving residence on Saginaw County was erected by two of its prominent settlers. In 1844 Benjamin and Adelaide Cushway built this house one-half mile northwest of here, near what is now the intersection of Court and Hamilton Streets. The house was moved twice, once in 1867 and again in 2001. The broken pediment at the roofline, the entrance with classic pilasters that flank the door and support the entablature, and the simple exterior are hallmarks of the Greek Revival style, fashionable at the time. While built by Americans of French-Canadian descent, the Cushway House was subsequently owned by the Vogts and the Nacaratos, families of German and Italian ancestry - a testimony to the diverse ethnic makeup of Saginaw Valley.