First Congregational Church of Charlotte
This handsome brick church was completed in 1881. Seven person organized the congregation in 1851 in nearby Carmel Township. Moving to Charlotte the next year, they held services in the wooden courthouse and in 1856 built the city's first place of worship, "The Basswood Church" on Bostwick Avenue. In 1873 construction of the present church began. Members made contributions to assure its finish. Local businessman Joseph Musgrave donated exterior brick originally purchased for his own home.