St. Joseph's Parish
Organized in 1855, St Joseph's served a German Catholic neighborhood for generations. With schools and activities conducted in German, the parish sponsored a mutual benefit society to assist its immigrant flock. In 1873, led by Fr. Johann Friedland, the parish dedicated this limestone church, designed in the Gothic Revival style by Francis Himpler. No longer predominantly German, St. Joseph's continues as a neighborhood parish and still provides services in German.