Indian Landing - Charlton Park
In the early nineteenth century the Thornapple Band of Ottawa Indians established a village and school a short distance from Thornapple Lake. It was served in the 1840s by a Methodist mission conducted by the Rev. Mannaseh Hickey. Trails leading to Canada and the Grand River intersected near the northeast end of the lake. In 1843 four Indian families purchased land here remaining until their removal to northern Michigan about 1855. In 1936 Irving D. Charlton donated the land to Barry County for a park in memory of his parents and founded a museum with a large collection of pioneer artifacts. He served as director until his death in 1963.