Church of Christ

Church of Christ

In 1856 the Reverend Isaac Errett organized Disciples of Christ congregations in Montrose (present-day Muir) and Lyons. Membership grew quickly, and in 1861 this church was built to serve Muir. The board-and-batten Gothic Revival exterior masks a simple meetinghouse interior. In 1881, Errett was the principal speaker at the funeral of his friend President James A. Garfield, who visited Muir in 1862. The Muir Church of Christ is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
photo of Church of Christ

Registered Site L0225
Erected 1993

Location: 138 Garden St. @ Liberty
Muir, Ionia County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings

Home

Latitude: 42.9994685, Longitude: -84.9413108

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com