Clark Dibble came here from New York State in 1834 and laid claim to forty acres of government land. Known as Dibbleville, this area was Fenton's original business district. It encompasses the A. J. Phillips Library, two churches and two commercial blocks. Most of the edifices date from the last four decades of the nineteenth century and retain notable architectural details. One structure in this district was built by Robert Le Roy in 1837 shortly after he and William Fenton purchased Dibbleville and named it Fentonville. The village became Fenton in 1863.