Whitefish Point Lighthouse

Whitefish Point Lighthouse

This light, the oldest on Lake Superior, began operating in 1849, though the present tower was constructed later. Early a stopping place for Indians, voyageuers, and Jesuit missionaries, the point marks the course change for ore boats and other ships navigating this treacherous coastline to and from St. Mary's Canal. Since 1971 the light, fog signal, and radio beacon have been automated and controlled from Sault Ste. Marie.
photo of Whitefish Point Lighthouse

Registered Site L0272
Erected 1974

Location: End of Whitefish Point Rd.
Whitefish Township, Chippewa County

Topics:
Lighthouses

Home

Latitude: 46.77137, Longitude: -84.95614

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com