Here, in October 1851, U.S. surveyor Guy H. Carleton discovered an Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian village, cemetery and campground. Chief Edwards, last ruler at Chicaugon Lake, received a patent for this land in 1884. Selling it in 1891, he and his wife Pentoga, for whom this area is named, moved to the Lac Vieux Desert area. By 1903 only a few burial houses and a brush fence remained from the ancient village. Iron County engineer Herbert Larson, Sr., convinced the county to buy the property and restore it as a park honoring the area's first inhabitants. It was dedicated in 1922.