The Reverend Daniel Brown came to this area in 1839 to help form a new Episcopal parish. He became the first rector of St. Paul's in 1840 when it received canonical sanction. The congregation met in a temporary chapel and then in a small church before the present structure was started in 1872 through efforts of the Reverend Marcus Lane. This massive Gothic Revival building was designed by Gordon Lloyd
of Detroit. The limestone, donated by a quarry in Flushing, was transported by members to the site. On August 24, 1873, the first service was held in this church. St. Paul's was consecrated in 1882 when the Reverend William Seabrease was rector. Memorials in the church honor eminent citizens of Flint's past, including carriage makers and auto pioneers.