Greenville

Greenville

In 1844, John and Deborah Green and their children moved to Montcalm County from their native New York. He purchased land, which now encompasses more than half the town, and erected a dam and sawmill on this site. As the town grew, it became the commercial center for the county serving the expanding white pine lumber industry along the Flat River. Green financed many of the early businesses, and so when the city was chartered in 1871, Green's Village was officially named Greenville in honor of its founder.
photo of Greenville

Registered Site L0413
Erected 1976

Location: 213 N. Franklin accross from the Hist Museum
Greenville, Montcalm County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Early Settlers

Home

Latitude: 43.181833, Longitude: -85.254765

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com