This structure was the township's first commercial building and an integral part of Covert's development. In 1871 Packard and Sons Lumbering Company hired Will Frary to build a general store. Under George Michel's proprietorship from 1885 to 1915, the store became a gathering place for shopping, banking, worshipping, and visiting. The community expressed interest in purchasing the building in the late 1930s. However in 1940 Dr. and Mrs. O. M. Vaughn donated it to the city for use as a library, community center, and Masonic Lodge.