Congregation Beth El
This simple white frame structure featuring gable roof ends with spindle work is the oldest synagogue building in continuous use in Michigan. It was constructed in 1885 on land donated by Perry Hannah, Traverse City lumber magnate who contributed to many religious and civic institutions. Julius Steinberg, Julius Levinson and Solomon Yalomstein were the first trustees of Beth El. Unchanged in appearance, the building has served the Jewish community in the Grand Traverse area for almost a century.