Ionia County Courthouse
Completed in 1885, the Ionia County Courthouse is the largest structure ever built of Ionia sandstone. The handsome three-and-a-half story courthouse replaced an 1840s hall of justice, which had become inadequate for the county's needs. David W. Gibbs (1836-1917). of Toledo, Ohio, designed the 120' x 80' Classical Revival structure. The $42,380 courthouse was financed by a special tax levy, which was approved in 1883. The first county offices moved into the new building in January 1886 and court was first held in it in late February of that year. Formal dedication services were observed on July 3, 1886. The interior is adorned with black and white marble floors, oak wainscoting, fourteen marble fireplaces and a massive walnut and butternut staircase.