A hotel or inn has occupied this site since 1870. Here stood The Exchange which became The Johnson House in 1892. The Painter Family erected the present brick building in 1895 then known as The Royal. Albert W. Schuler, Sr. purchased the hotel in 1924 and renamed it The Schuler. Ten years later the edifice became a restaurant which the Schuler Family continues to operate. Located in a city noted for its wealth of historic buildings, Schuler's features a longstanding tradition of fine food.