During the mid-1850s, the firm of R. B. Hubbard and Company, which included Connecticut-born entreprenaurs Langdon Hubbard, his brother Watson, and cousin Rollin B., built a steam-powered sawmill on Willow Creek. The company town they developed was named Huron City in 1861. A horse-drawn tram carried the mill's products to a nearby dock in Lake Huron for transport to the firm's lumber yard in Sandusky, Ohio. Huge forest fires in 1871 and 1881 entirely destroyed Huron City, but each time the town was rebuilt. Huron City's surviving buildings -- including Langdon Hubbard's house, now called Seven Gables, the general store, the hotel, and the church -- all date from the early 1880s Langdon Hubbard died in 1892. In 1995 Huron City was listed as a historic District in the National Register of Historic Places.