Schellenberger Tavern

Schellenberger Tavern

German immigrant Jacob Schellenberger built this structure as both a home and tavern. A stone cutter by trade, Schellenberger obtained sandstone from the nearby Kalamazoo River for the building which he completed around 1840. Because of the proximity to the river, Indians reportedly stopped here enroute to Detroit trading posts. Now a private residence the structure features the low-pitched roof and wide entablature characteristic of Greek Revival architecture.
photo of Schellenberger Tavern

Registered Site L0473
Erected 1977

Location: 507 West Hanover
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns

Home

Latitude: 42.269929, Longitude: -84.965756

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com