Sixth Street Bridge
The Massillon Bridge Company of Ohio built this $31,000, four-span bridge for Grand Rapids in 1886. The rust-resistant wrought iron used for its four Pratt trusses accounts for its durability. In 1921 the western truss was shortened when the west bank canal was filled in. In 1975 the bridge was slated for demolition; but concerned citizens convinced authorities to save it. This structure, the longest, oldest remaining metal bridge in Michigan was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.