Cass County Courthouse
Completed in 1899, this wooden frame building with limestone veneer is the third courthouse to serve Cass County. The Territorial Government of Michigan established the county in 1829 and named it after then Governor Lewis Cass. Two years later Cassopolis became the county seat. The Board of Supervisors built the first courthouse in 1835 away from public square. The area's rapid growth necessitated the erection of a second courthouse on the Public Square in 1841. Nineteen years later some county offices moved across the street to a building called "The Fort." The inconvenience of two separate facilities and the dilapidated condition of the second courthouse led to the construction of the present building. With a wing added in 1976, it remains the seat of justice in Cass County.