Fitzgerald Park

Fitzgerald Park

Migrant Indian tribes led by famous Chief Okemos called this area "Big Rocks." They came here in early spring to tap the sugar maples. Later, the beauty of the ledges and woods attracted the Grand Ledge Spiritualist Camp Association which, in 1894, established a summer camp and erected the large pavilion which still stands. Thousands of spiritualists came here for summer encampments until the turn of the century. In 1919, the City of Grand Ledge bought the property and named it Riverside Park. The pavilion was used for dances, roller skating and basketball. During World War II, it housed a factory. This park's name commemorates Grand Ledge native Governor Frank D. Fitzgerald who died in office in 1939. The pavilion was refurbished as a summer theater by the Grand Ledge Improvement Association in 1955.
photo of Fitzgerald Park

Registered Site L0593
Erected 1979

Location: 3808 Grand Ledge Highway
Grand Ledge, Eaton County

Topics:
Governors
Parks
World War II

Home

Latitude: 42.7590183, Longitude: -84.7620534

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com