Battle Alley

Battle Alley

This historic district was once the scene of frequent brawls. In 1880, an uproar between local rowdies and workers of a traveling circus rendered so many bruised, beaten and jailed, that this street was thus named "Battle Alley." Carry A. Nation, "Kansas saloon smasher," came to Holly on August 28, 1908, at the request of the local prohibition committee. Wielding her umbrella, she strode through the alley's bars bellowing about the "Demon Rum" and its sins. In 1910, Battle Alley became the first brick street in the village.
photo of Battle Alley

Registered Site L0602
Erected 1978

Location: Battle Alley at Broad Street
Holly, Oakland County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings

Home

Latitude: 42.7909130, Longitude: -83.6267709

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com