Constructed in 1876, this North Italian Banded Romanesque structure was designed by Swiss architect Julius Hess. It is the second rectory building of St. Mary's parish, which was organized in 1835 under the leadership of Father Martin Kundig
(1835 - 1843). Following Father Kundig were the Redemptorist Fathers (1847 - 1872). the Franciscan Fathers (1872 - 1893) and the Holy Ghost Fathers, C. S. Sp. (1893 to the present). This edifice was completed under the guidance of the Franciscans. It also served as their monastery.