This one-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1884 by Hargreaze Sittlington. The school's arches and raised brickwork may have been modeled after the 1882 Cherry Hill United Methodist Church.
Both buildings are typical of rural schoolhouses and churches of the period. The Canton Center School ceased operating as a grammar school in 1954. In 1977 the Plymouth - Canton School District donated the structure to the Canton Historical Society, which restored the building. It opened as a museum in 1982.