[Whitefish Point] Post Office
This post office opened just six years after Whitefish Point was settled in 1871 as a landing for the then abundant supplies and as a commercial fishery. Permanent residents received their mail from Sault Ste. Marie. During the summer months, mail was delivered by boat three times a week. In severe winter weather, dog teams hauled the mail twice a month. In service for nearly a century, this post office provided a link with days before lumbermen cut down tall stands of pine trees, The office here ceased operations in 1973.