Shelldrake

Shelldrake

Legend has it that Lewis Cass, governor of the Territory of Michigan, and his party of nearly 100 camped here on their search for the source of the Mississippi River in 1820. This area, once a bustling lumbering community, was first settled in the mid-nineteenth century. Shelldrake is now a sleepy resort and hunting place. Few of the weatherbeaten buildings that once faced the long boardwalk remain. This settlement is a reminder of the area's lumbering era.
photo of Shelldrake

Registered Site L0727
Erected 1980

Location: Old Shelldrake Rd.
Whitefish Township, Chippewa County

Topics:
Cities and Towns
Governors

Home

Latitude: 46.6799625, Longitude: -85.0328493

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com