The area known as Rochester was settled in 1817 by James Graham. It was the first permanent settlement in present-day Oakland County. The community was named in honor of Rochester, New York, where many of its pioneers once lived. In 1819 the first industry in this vicinity was founded when William Russell, Benjamin Woodworth, Alexander Graham, and John Hersey erected a water-powered sawmill. In 1826 Lewis Cass, territorial governor of Michigan, with Austin E. Wing, and Charles Larned, platted the village, which was incorporated in 1869 and became a city in 1967. Abundant sources of water and the advent of the railroad contributed to the development of woolen, flour, saw and paper, mills in the region. The Rochester area is now a major cultural center and includes Oakland University, Michigan Christian College and Leader Dog School for the Blind.