Near this site on April 5, 1880, area residents met at the Gerrish Logging Camp to elect officers for their newly formed township. James Watson was chosen as the first supervisor. Originally the township embraced present-day Gerrish, Lyon and Markey townships. In 1920 the present boundary line was established. This structure, the second permanent town hall, was erected in 1970. The township borders on half of the shoreline of Michigan's sixth largest inland lake, Higgins Lake, and is primarily a resort area.