Cobbs & Mitchell Building
In 1905 George D. Mason of Detroit designed this brick and limestone building as a showplace for the products of Cobbs & Mitchell Inc., a nationally known lumber company. Completed in 1907, the buildings interior is completed in nine varieties of native Michigan wood -- elm, white maple, bird's-eye maple, sap birch, red birch, curly red maple, red beech, red oak and hemlock. The company was named for Jonathon W. Cobbs (1823 - 1898), and William W. Mitchell (1854 - 1915). Their families were prime movers in the growth of the city of Cadillac and developed much of northern Michigan's lumber industry. The building also housed the Mitchell Bros. Co. and other lumbering interests before it was purchased by the State Highway Department in 1939.