The Reverend Edward Weiss, a Washtenaw County circuit rider, organized an Evangelical class of fifteen members in 1874. They met in a school located about two miles east of here. Two years later , trustees Herman Gieske, Lambert Gieske and Bernhardt Kuhl, on behalf of the Evangelical Association of North America, bought land from the Rowe family in the area known as Rowes Corners. Church members hauled brick and lumber to the site. Salem Church was dedicated in November 1876. The vernacular Gothic Revival church is similar to others built in the Midwest by nineteenth-century German congregations. Stained-glass windows were installed in the early twentieth century. The denomination merged with the United Brethren Church in 1946 and with the Methodist Church in 1968. That year this church was renamed Sharon United Methodist Church.