Putnam Public Library
Built in 1884/85, this red-bricked, Italianate structure was the home of Charles W. and Agnes Putnam. Mr. Putnam was a hardware merchant and a banker; Mrs. Putnam taught music and was the first public school teacher in Nashville. Around the turn of the century, the Putnams hosted many elegant social events here. In 1921 they willed their home to Nashville for use as a public library. They established a $10,000 trust fund to begin its operation. The Women's Literary Club launched the library in 1923.