James Clements Memorial Airport
From this field in 1912, Bay County's first pilot, Lionel DeRemer (FAI License No. 115), flew his Wright "B" Pusher plane, the fifteenth built by Orville and Wilbur Wright. DeRemer founded one of the first flying schools in Michigan. One of his students, Henry Dora, was the first manager of the James Clements Memorial Airport, built here in 1928-1930. Dora also taught flying. Early woman racing pilot, Jeanette Lempke Sovereign and Dr. J. M. Jones, a physician who made house calls by plane across northern Michigan, were Dora's students. Bay City's first airmail delivery was made here on July 17, 1928. During World War II the airport was a training site for Michigan flyers. The airport Administration Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.