St. Mary of Czestochowa Roman Catholic Church
The Polish refugees who immigrated to Dwight Township in the 1840s in order to escape Prussian domination worshipped at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Port Austin. In 1903, in an effort to retain their Polish identity, they established their own parish and built St. Mary of Czestochowa Church, named for "the Queen of Poland." The parishioners built the wood frame structure on land purchased from Frank and Rose Koroleski. Father J. Trzetrzynski was the first pastor. After that church burned on May 29, 1932, construction began on the present cobblestone and brick building, which was dedicated on May 28, 1933. Father Henry Podsiad directed the building of this church, which is reminiscent of Polish Romanesque churches.