This typical one-room schoolhouse was built for School District No. 2 of Summit Township in the 1880s. Named for a school board member, McCain School is the second schoolhouse erected on this site. The first was built in the early 1850s shortly after the land was set aside for school purposes. The rear lean-to addition was completed in 1899. The building operated as a school until 1956. It later served as a social center. In 1976 it was renovated as a studio apartment.