James A. Miner
James A. Miner, born in Marshall in 1842, began studying law in Clinton, Iowa, in 1860. Completing his studies in Marshall, he was admitted to the Calhoun County bar in 1863. There he was a circuit court commissioner (1866-1870) and prosecuting attorney (1870-1874). His office was in this building from 1869 to 1873. His 1876 partnership with Francis A. Stace created one of the county's largest law firms. President Benjamin Harrison appointed him a Utah territorial justice in 1890, and he was elected the state's first chief justice (1896-1903). He died in 1907.