All Saints Episcopal Church / Gordon Lloyd
All Saints Episcopal Church
An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatauk on All Saints Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd designed the Gothic Revival-style church building. Although services were first held on January 25, 1873, the church was not completed until 1874. After a period of decline that caused the parish to become a diocesan mission, full parish status was restored in 1946.
Gordon W. Lloyd (1832-1904) was among the Midwest's foremost church architect. He was trained at England's Royal Academy under the tutelage of his uncle, Ewan Christian. Lloyd immigrated to the United States in 1858, settling in Detroit. In 1861 he designed Detroit's Christ Church. Among his other churches are Central United Methodist Church
in Detroit, Grace Episcopal Church
in Mount Clemens and St. Paul's Episcopal Church
in Flint. The design of All Saints closely resembles that of his St. James Church
of Grosse Ile.