St. John's Episcopal Church and Parish House
The St. John's Episcopal parish was established on February 4, 1841. Under the leadership of the Reverend Melancthon Hoyt, the parish constructed its first church, now the parish house, that same year. Built on land donated by Ionia's founder, Samuel Dexter, the building was the first church in Ionia county and is thought to be the second oldest Episcopal building in Michigan. It was consecrated on April 24, 1842, by the Reverend Samuel McCoskry, the first Bishop of Michigan. In 1882-83 the present brick church was erected at a cost of $7334.89. This Gothic style structure, with English Cathedral glass windows, was consecrated on July 2, 1890 by the Right Reverend George de Normandie Gillespie, the first Bishop of Western Michigan.