The Shepherd Village Power House was built in 1908-09. It housed the community's first electric plant and water pumps. The thirty-five-kilowatt dynamo, driven by a coal gas engine operated from 1909 to 1912. From 1913 to 1925 outside power was transmitted through the facility. In 1925 Consumers Power purchased the village distribution system and the Power House ceased operations. Part of the building was used as a village council hall until 1957. The Shepherd Area Historical Society began using it in 1982.