William Voigt, Jr., is thought to have designed this house as a summer home in the early 1900s. In 1889 his parents, who ran a butchering business, purchased this property for $1,850. The French settler Joseph Tremble was granted the land by President James Madison in 1811. Paul Trombley later had title to the site. Voigt, Jr., a city engineer, owned the Home Brewing Co., and had studied architecture in Germany. As a member of the Detroit Board of Education, 1887-1893, he was instrumental in strengthening the compulsory education law and introducing physical culture into school programs. Voigt's sister, Christine, and her husband Herman Kreit, D.D.S. were deeded the home in 1907. Dr. Kreit became a trustee and president of the village of Grosse Pointe Park. Christine taught German and science at the Liggett School from 1882 to 1900. The home remained in the family until 1969.