Trinity Lutheran Church
Trinity Lutheran Church, one of the oldest of this denomination in Detroit, was founded in 1850. The Reverend Gottlieb Schaller conducted the early worship services, which were held in the former Mariners Church on Larned Street. In 1866 the congregation built a brick church on this site. After over sixty years of service, it was razed in 1929. The present Neo-Gothic style church, designed by W. E. N. Hunter was a gift of Charles Gauss. It was dedicated in 1931. Trinity Lutheran helped to establish many daughter congregations in Detroit. The church also established the Lutheran Institute for the Deaf, the Lutheran cemetery, and together with other congregations, the Detroit Lutheran High School, Valparaiso University of Indiana and the Lutheran radio hour.